Monday, January 27, 2014

motherhood musings

This past Sunday at mass we had just came back from communion and were kneeling quietly in our pew when all of a sudden Damien started speaking outloud, "Don't you ever say, I just walked away, I will always want you." Now to some this may mean nothing, however we know it to be the lyrics to Miley Cryus' song "Wrecking Ball" and the next lyrics Damien will belt out are, " I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL, I'VE NEVER HIT SO HARD IN LOVE..." 

Mortification. 

I wish someone would have come hit me with a wrecking ball.

Not that I completely care, but everyone is starring at us and more importantly judging why we would ever let our child listen to a Miley Cyrus song enough times to know the chorus.

I calmly smiled and explained to Damien with my loving (death) stare, that the wrecking ball song is inappropriate to be singing in Mass. His response was ever so loud, an echo of "mom! I want to sing wrecking ball!!" filling the sanctuary and giving several teenage girls a good laugh..

By this time the closing prayer had ended and we patiently waited for the priest to exit so we could swiftly make our way out of the church and let wrecking ball find it's proper home - behind the closed doors of our car. 

There really is nothing more humbling than a bright toddler, especially one who speaks his mind in all the wrong places.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

 


7 comments:

  1. I am in disbelief that you are on the blogging wagon! I. love. this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, toddlers... they are so good for humility ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hope. Sarah's friend Tamara here stopping by to say hi. That picture of you two is priceless! Nothing better than kisses from the little ones :)

    ReplyDelete